Heritage Corner Heritage Corner is a weekly feature of the Bellevue News. Material is provided by the Eastside Heritage Center. The New Strawberry Festival

The original Strawberry Festival ran from 1925 through 1941. World War II brought the festival to a close, as many local farmers were sent to internment camps, and wartime shortages cut into supplies of milk, sugar, and gasoline.

The original Strawberry Festival ran from 1925 through 1941. World War II brought the festival to a close, as many local farmers were sent to internment camps, and wartime shortages cut into supplies of milk, sugar, and gasoline.

After the war came the “baby boom,” and Seattle families crossed the new bridge to settle in Bellevue’s growing suburban developments. Agriculture disappeared as houses sprang up.

It would be 45 years before Bellevue held a Strawberry Festival again.

Members of the Bellevue Historical Society, concerned that residents were losing their connection with the past, revived the event in 1987. At first the “festivals” were modest affairs - a couple of hours of shortcake and shared memories. However, over time, the event began to grow.

In 2003 the festival moved to Main Street in Old Bellevue and attracted 1,500 visitors. In 2007 the festival was located in Crossroads Park and hosted a crowd of 30,000.

To learn more about Bellevue and Eastside history, contact the Eastside Heritage Center at 425-450-1049 or visit www.EastsideHeritageCenter.org.